When an insurance provider cares more about its bottom line

On Behalf of | Jun 6, 2017 | Blog |

If you suffer injuries in a car accident, you expect the other driver’s insurance to cover your losses. What happens, though, if the insurance provider denies your claim or only gives you partial coverage? What can you do? Unfortunately, this is an issue that many Florida residents have faced. If you are among them, you can take steps to achieve fair and full compensation.

The sad truth of the matter is, insurance companies are not out to protect their clients or those whom their clients injure. These are businesses, and their main responsibility is to their shareholders. Right or wrong, it is what it is, no matter what their catchy commercials say.

Filing a claim and the claims process

After a car accident, filing an insurance claim as soon as possible is wise. Most insurance providers actually require one to file a claim within 24 hours. Filing a claim is pretty simple. It is usually just a matter of calling the other driver’s insurance carrier.

Once reported, the insurance company will conduct an investigation. They will likely ask for:

  • Very detailed information about the crash
  • Photos of the scene of the incident
  • Names and contact information of any witnesses

Depending on the severity of your accident, some of this information can be hard to come by, especially if you are stuck in a hospital bed or are temporarily incapacitated.

After the investigation is officially completed, the insurance provider will either send you a settlement check or send notice explaining why they have denied your claim.

What if coverage falls short?

If what the insurance provider gives you is not adequate or they just outright deny your claim, you may file an appeal. The appeals process is not the same for every provider. Your legal counsel can help you take the appropriate actions.

When is legal action necessary?

When trying to work with an insurance company — initially or through the appeals process — fails to produce desirable results, you may file civil claims against the driver believed responsible for your losses and his or her insurance provider. An experienced personal injury attorney can assist you in this. If litigation proves successful, a judge may award you maximum relief for any damages you have sustained.


FindLaw Network

Client Testimonials

Simply the BEST representation available in Brevard County
~ Carol

Client Testimonials

Expert, Professional, Courteous, and above all else…Relentless
~ Wendell

Client Testimonials

An attorney who will fight for you.
~ Jacqueline

Client Testimonials

By far the Best Around
~ Jamie