What to do when you’re in an accident with an uninsured motorist

On Behalf of | Jun 6, 2019 | Uncategorized |

No one ever expects to be in a car accident. Sometimes bad weather, road construction, erratic driving and other factors lead to an accident. Car insurance provides the necessary protection and financial resources to deal with the aftermath.

But some drivers in Florida and other states choose to break the law and drive without insurance. It’s a terrible gamble that puts other motorists at risk. If you’re involved in a car accident with an uninsured driver, your insurance will provide most of the coverage. However, it may be a complex and difficult process to receive adequate compensation from the other driver.

Car insurance is a legal requirement

A driver must have valid insurance to legally operate a motor vehicle in the state of Florida. If a driver does not carry insurance, the courts can hold them personally liable for criminal and civil damages. When an uninsured motorist is involved in an accident, law enforcement will suspend or revoke the driver’s license.

Collecting damages from an uninsured motorist

Florida is a no-fault state for car accidents, so you have fewer legal options. In no-fault states, your policy provides personal injury protection (PIP). In many car accident cases, your insurance company will pay 80% of the repairs, expenses and medical bills. However, in many cases, you’re not compensated for the other 20%, so this is a substantial shortfall.

The driver, who is not carrying vehicle insurance, often cannot afford it. And it’s unlikely that they have the financial resources to pay you for the damages. However, you can take legal action against the driver and see if you can recover something.

Car accidents are often traumatic and harrowing experiences. And these can be more difficult with an uninsured motorist. It’s always a good idea to review your insurance policy and make sure you have coverage for uninsured motorists.


FindLaw Network

Client Testimonials

Simply the BEST representation available in Brevard County
~ Carol

Client Testimonials

Expert, Professional, Courteous, and above all else…Relentless
~ Wendell

Client Testimonials

An attorney who will fight for you.
~ Jacqueline

Client Testimonials

By far the Best Around
~ Jamie